Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pete Schofield and The Canadians

Pete Schofield was a music teacher, big band leader and, based on the evidence of this album cover, a soprano saxophonist. Along with his younger charges The Canadians he recorded at least two albums on Birchmount Records (this one and It's A Sign Of The Times), but more than that I do not know. As for The Canadians, they evidently had a revolving lineup, but at the time of this album's recording they were Ihor Kukurudza on guitar, Ray Banks on trumpet, John Meydam on drums and Rosy Sidgwick on bass (the rest of the brass section is not identified).



The Now Sound was recorded in 1969 at Sound Canada Studios in Don Mills (which was also home to The Rhythm Ramblers' album) by engineer Phil Sheridan, with musical arragements by Eddie Graff, Ray Sikora and Ken Garland. The album consists in its entirety of thirteen tracks of instrumental pop in the vein of Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, of which the cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson," with its driving beat and insistent drone, is my personal favourite. Unfortunately, this album wasn't in the best of shape when I found it in a moldy box under a table at a flea market in Sarnia, so be prepared for a little snap, crackle, pop.

(Do You Know The Way To) San Jose
Music To Watch Girls By
Mrs. Robinson
Goin' Out Of My Head


Note: These songs have been archived at It Came From Canada.

9 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance the year of album? Thanks

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger dansich said...

No kidding, Ihor Kukurudza? Good find. I'll lend you his CD "As It Was" sometime. He was a student of Tony Bradan's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bradan

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger yves perret said...

It was recorded in 1969.

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Yves.

That's my Dad. Very cool. Thank you for a sweet jog down memory lane. He passed away in 1995, but my brother's and I keep the band going for fun. Same place, same night. He actually ended up recording 6 or 7 albums. Who knows what you'll find in Sarnia under a table ! He taught and had some great Toronto talents come through our home. As kids growing up we were very lucky to hear some of the finest young talents rehearse in our basement. His musical influence on the three of us was huge and we've carried on his legacy of playing and teaching. Thanks again.
Kim Schofield

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Brian Barlow said...

I was one of the fortunate young musicians who had the opportunity to play in Pete Schofield's band for several years. At the time I used the stage name Brian Leonard. I'm now back to using my real last name "Barlow". Many of the players in Pete's band went on to have very successful careers in music including Bassist Richard Homme, saxophonist John Johnson, former Boss Brass baritone saxophonist Bob Leonard and top Toronto studio guitarist Bobby Edwards. Pete gave us all our start and for that we owe him a great debt.
Brian Barlow

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Everett Ross Harwood said...

Wow! Great to see this blog! I have great memories playing with Pete and the band! It was an incredible experience. It is awesome to see your post here Kim. If you get this comment I would love to get in touch and say hello to you all! Please email me at everettharwood@gmail.com
Ross Harwood

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

Pete Schofield was a dear friend and I have a great deal to thank him for. A great man with tremendous talent, he will never be forgotten.

Stephen Nitikman

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Kim and the rest of the family

I was a student of Pete Schofield in the 60's and I am so glad he was able to help shape my talent and love for music.

I am sorry he has passed and can only say he lives on in all sharing in his love for music.
I still have the album he gave me.

Elaine

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Honeywell Family said...

Pete was a great disciplinarian in that the recording at the end of the rehearsal was far more to the point than any comment he could ever make. The truth often hurt - but that's how we learned.
I will never forget when I had a short solo that hung together well, and Pete made a point as he often did, of playing our freshly recorded work at break.
It was incredibly gratifying to hear what sounded like a professional solo that I had crafted (by luck) as a 16 year-old and, most of all, to know that Peter played it for the band to hear.
I owe a great deal to him for my musical formation.
Way to go Peter!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home