Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Young Canada Singers

Happy Canada Day, everyone! I hope all the Canucks out there are enjoying the summer weather and luxuriating in the knowledge that they have tomorrow off. To mark the 140th anniversary of our country's birth, I'm posting a couple of songs that marked our centennial 40 years ago. Well, one song, actually, in both of Canada's official languages; English and French. "Canada," by The Young Canada Singers, was a cheerful celebration of our great land written by "the pied piper of Canada", trumpeter and orchestra leader Bobby Gimby (who was later awarded The Order of Canada for his efforts). The song was even a hit, "the only centennial project that will make money for the government," as one official noted.

As a bonus, I'm re-posting "I Wouldn't Take A Million Dollars For A Single Maple Leaf," by Roy Payne. If we ever change the national anthem, my vote would go to this tune, which reminds us that we live in a "rare and precious pearl" of a country.



Canada - The Young Canada Singers
Canada - Les jeunes chanteurs du Canada
I Wouldn't Take A Million Dollars For A Single Maple Leaf - Roy Payne

Note: These songs have been archived at It Came From Canada.

3 Comments:

At 6:55 PM, Blogger Evikn said...

That Roy Payne song is causing me a certain amount of suffering. Ouch.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I certainly believe this is a more appropriate song for a National Anthem than the one we currently use. The words "My home and NATIVE land" only apply to a small percentage of the population of Canada since most of us originate from another country. Suggest we change the word NATIVE to CHOSEN to be politically correct.

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the young canada singers are my family.. they have no recognition.. and had a gold fucken record! i can see my aunts, uncles and father on the back of the record and yet no mention... what gives??? someone should atleast give them the time of day to acknowledge their time and efforts put towards this epic CANADIAN hertiage HIT SINGLE... GOLD RECORD..... please LOVE me as much as i LOVE CANADA!!!!!! PEACE

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home