Tuesday, July 18, 2006

J. Chalmers Doane Week - Ukulele Magic

The back cover of Ukulele Magic, the final album in the Ukuleles Of Halifax series, states that it takes its name from the television program The Magic Uke (Googling gets me nowhere) and that the students playing on it range in age from grades seven to twelve, which would explain the higher level of the playing on much of the album.



"Five Foot Two" is an upbeat instrumental with an awesome "Moby Dick"-style drum solo about 40 seconds in by Ken Hubley, who is credited with percussion on the album. "Onions" is a cover of the novelty single "I Love Onions" by Susan Christie, which actually scraped the lower reaches of the pop singles chart in 1966. "Holy Potion" is a Sunday School song chronicling the exploits of a Biblical all-star team including Noah, Moses, Jonah, and Jesus (who, as top dog, gets the best section of the song, a jazzy interlude preceded by a bass solo). And "Blues For Uke", which also features a bass solo by Bruce Jacobs (Hubley's cousin, as it turns out), is both the highlight of the album and, at 3:19, one of the longer songs in the Ukuleles of Halifax oeuvre.

Five Foot Two
Onions
Holy Potion
Blues For Uke


Note: These songs have been archived at It Came From Canada.

4 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Ray said...

Ok. I found out about all of these uke albums thanks to WMFU. I see that you have posted a number of the tracks. Is it possible to get the full albums in mp3 format?

I was a kid of the 70s, but I didn't get a uke until I was an old man of 34. Damnit, I could be good by now...

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger yves perret said...

Hi...I don't have any plans to post the full albums (only so many hours in the day, etc.), but glad to hear you do like the songs that I put up!

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Ukulele Yes! album. On the back, it refers to the band as "The Ukuleles of Halifax." Do your albums also have the "The" there? (I'm anal about my mp3 tags.)

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can download the first nine albums for free at the site below (click on "downloads").

http://www.chalmersdoane.com/

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home